Catching Up




Last week was our "February Vacation," which was started in the northeast to close down the schools to save on heating. I don't think our school was closed for even one day last week, but I didn't mind the break.

The kids and I didn't do much - it was so cold over the first weekend that we jetted out of the house first thing Monday morning and hit up the Bounce Zone. Cam bounced for two hours non-stop then napped for three. #praisejesus



Tuesday, nobody napped, so I dropped Cam off at my Dad's and took Louise to the mall. We returned a few things and bought some new bras and undies at VS...crazy girls' night!

Wednesday, we met up with some friends at Maine Academy of Gymnastics for a too-short open gym (less than an hour) then went home and watched a movie because nobody was tired. It's too bad it's so short because it's really fun...there are two floors of "contained" space then an entire open area with bars, trampolines, rings, etc...I think they could have spent all day there!



Thursday was our library day. Our main library has such a great kids' section with TOO MANY books to choose from, a Moose to touch and a little play room. Of course, we spent more time in the play room than anywhere else, but we brought home a few good books! (What are your favorite books for a 4 year old? We are getting into a whole new category of authors!)

Friday, we met some different friends at The Yard for three hours of playing (They would have stayed longer - It was amazing.) and lunch. Conveniently enough, Portland Pie is right next door, so there's that...if only we could have ordered some beers to go!



And I'm now contemplating installing two swings in our yard because that's pretty much all they did!


Saturday, Chad took Cam on a day date to get a hair cut, run errands and grab lunch. We had a quiet family afternoon then headed to Portsmouth for dinner at Bratskellar. It's a pizza joint in the back basement of a fancy restaurant, so only locals know about it. It's perfect with kids because it's so loud that nobody cares! I'm glad we live an hour away, otherwise, we'd be there every week!

Not fancy, cheap and delicious!

Sunday, we cleaned, interviewed a new babysitter (who we hired) then I had a staff meeting at school. On Wednesday, February 17, one of our seniors - and one of my students - killed himself. He posted a suicide note on Facebook, his friends called the police and rushed to his house, but it was too late. It's tragic. It sucks. It's so hard. It's hard to not feel guilty, as his teacher and case manager. It's hard to try to talk to the students because they want answers and clarity, and there just isn't any. I'm so glad that we are all together, in school, to support each other. 

If you are the praying type, please pray for his family, who is not doing well. They won't speak with anyone, and they don't want a service. I am trying to respect their wishes and their privacy, but I want to reach out to them so badly. His mom was the sweetest...she wanted to help him more than anyone, and he wouldn't let her in. He wouldn't let anyone in. 

If you know anyone who needs help, please push. Don't stop. Don't think they're going to be okay, because they may not be. He wasn't, but we all thought he was. 


So, today, we are all wearing purple to support Suicide Awareness...even Louise!

Don't mind our blurry Monday morning picture!





And, to end on a happy note...I can't even handle these kids. 

Our threenager who hates to wake up in the morning...
unless it's 5am, then he's all "Let's watch TV, mom!"

And that butt-in-the-air and those little feet...



So here's the good in life and the bad we go through to make us appreciate the good. And please remember Dexter's parents this week, month and year. 





14 comments:

  1. cheap and delicious...my favorite kind of food!
    So sorry about your senior. That kind of thing just breaks your heart.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the cheap and delicious restaurant nights! And I am so sorry about your senior. Breaks my heart that it was too late. And this hits close to home for me. My ex-boyfriends brother committed suicide ten years ago. He was only 14 and was like my little brother. Very tragic. But it looks like you had a good week off. Not as many naps as you would have liked, but a good week off.

    ReplyDelete
  3. In Tahoe they do the same thing, but it's called 'ski week.'

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ugh, no napping just plain sucks, but since they are cute it's hard to be mad. :) Love those sweet sleeping babies! Great pictures. I'm always so scared to take pictures of my kids when they are sleeping for the fear of waking them up.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my gosh, I'm so sorry about your student. That is so incredibly sad and will definitely be hard on your other students! I also had no clue that's why they originally started the February break!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So so sorry about your student. That is just heart breaking. Another friend of mine, also a teacher, posted of a senior at her school who also took his life in Friday. Just so sad. I'll pray for the family.

    As for book Recs- oh I've got a TON! Any Mo Williems books we love. The pout pout fish books are great and our current favorite books are by the pioneer woman, ree Drummond. She writes about her ranch for, Charlie. My boys looooove these books!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my goodness, I'm so so sorry to hear about your student. There just aren't any words. I will definitely say a prayer for him and his family and you as well.

    Love all the photos! Such a fun time ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. We have wanted to bring our girls to Bounce Zone, we've heard really good things about it! But we don't get to Portland all that often. Hopefully soon!
    And I am so sorry to hear about your student. Suicide is horrible and these young kids don't realize what they do to their loved ones when they go through with it. In the line of work I do I deal with it almost on a daily basis and it's heartbreaking each and every time. I'll be praying for you and his family.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds like you guys had amazing week off! You did a lot yet nothing all at once. Isn't that the best? I wish we could have a week off and just do whatever we wanted, not be rushed, and just enjoy life. Ahh. Sounds so nice. I might just have to take a week off and have a staycation :)
    I'm so sorry to hear about your student. Suicide is so horrible. I wish he would have been able to open up and talk about his problems. Hopefully, after some time, the family will be more willing to open up and talk to someone, I know you could greatly help them. My thoughts are with his family and with you and your school.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my goodness, I am so sorry to hear about your student. So, so sad!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Praying for your student and his family. That is so tough. I'm sure as a mother yourself, you know what the family must be experiencing.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh my gosh, Jess, I'm so sorry. I'll be praying for him and his family. What a horrible devastating tragedy. I'm so sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am so sorry to hear about your student. Absolutely heart breaking. We will be saying extra prayers for his family and friends.

    On a different note: we are loving all of Dr. Seuss' books. Particularly Cat in the Hat and Wacky Wesnesday.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm so sorry to hear about your student. That is heartbreaking! Thoughts and prayers for the family.
    On a more positive note, it looks like you had a fun break. XOXO

    ReplyDelete