Our Birth Story: Part I

I had written this before, but it was sooo long, that I decided to write a shortened version. This is a story that I will certainly never forget, but it does bring back a lot of memories when I write it. 

So, here it goes...


First, a few things to keep in mind...Doctors change shift at 7:00 am, so each day starts when a new doctor comes in with a new method to try! Mom, Dad and Chad were at the hospital this entire time...talk about troopers!


Wednesday, June 27
We were admitted to the hospital at 5:30 for an induction due to increased blood pressure and swelling. Little did we know that this would be an extremely looooong induction. They started off with Misoprostol, which is a pill they inserted (guess where) every 4 hours. The purpose of “miso” is to soften your cervix and hopefully start or progress dilation by forcing contractions. Well, it got me to 1cm after 3 attempts and I had very little contractions that I couldn’t feel at all. So, that brings us to…
Thursday, June 28
After little progress, the doctors suggested trying Pitocin to get my contractions to become more frequent and stronger. Yes, contractions were stronger, but I was still only 1cm dilated and I was becoming frustrated. The contractions hurt and we were making no progress…talk about a standstill. (We watched a lot of movies, played a lot of games and took a lot of naps!)
Friday, June 29
A third option: The Cook Balloon was suggested by the doctors. This is literally a balloon that they insert to force the cervix to open. The doctors and nurses have “never seen this not work!” Fantastic! Let’s do it…12 hours later, I was 2cm dilated. We had a (desperate) discussion with the doctor on duty and decided that we would stop all induction interventions overnight - get a good night’s sleep - and schedule a c-section for Saturday morning (all while sitting in the bathtub, which was amazing).
Saturday, June 30
Mom and Dad arrived at the hospital around 8am with the expectation that we would have a c-section that morning. Instead, the new doctor on duty (they switched at 7am) decided that a c-section was not the best option because I am young and healthy and Cameron was not in any major danger. So…we were back to square one. We decided to give the Pitocin another try (but bump it up a lot) and to get an epidural so that the contractions wouldn’t be painful…this started around 12 noon and at 10pm, I was still only 4cm dilated - woohoo….progress! But not enough. I decided at this point that the doctor would come back in at midnight and check my progress and if I hadn’t progressed anymore, we would stop the Pitocin and wait for his birth to happen naturally. {Sidenote: Around 2:00, I started to get super bad pains in my shoulders, neck and head...I thought they were just part of contractions since I couldn't feel below my chest, so Chad, my mom and dad just continued to give me massages and put ice on my shoulders and head. Little did I know it was from a botched epidural...more on that tomorrow!}
Massages from Mom and Dad


Kisses and support from Chad is what got me through this labor!


Poor Mom can't handle hospitals ;) 








Sunday, July 1
The doctor came in at midnight, felt around a little and announced that I was NINE (Yes, 9!) cm dilated….holy schnikes!! Everyone got excited, I tried to come out of my drug-induced coma that I had been in for 12 hours and things started rolling.
Cameron was born on Sunday, July 1 at 2:45 am, weighing 7lbs 4oz and was 21” long. He was perfect. 
Cameron Steven Scott


Our family...at last.


I was in LOVE.


Little did we know that this beautiful birth story was just the beginning of a very long week in the hospital…

1 comment:

  1. I love the little side age show you have going on. He is so precious. LONG process of delivery. To see their precious little faces in the end makes all that waiting and pain disappear. Sounds like everything was pretty complicated. Thanks for stopping by http://onecreativeprocrastinatinggal.blogspot.com/ I am following you right back.

    ReplyDelete